Creavo Medical Technologies is a global innovator in the development of advanced technology to enable healthcare professionals to accurately and rapidly detect medical conditions, supporting quick decision making to get patients into the correct pathway sooner.
When you join Creavo, you are becoming part of an innovative medical device company that is developing technology to revolutionise the way the healthcare industry manages patients with suspected heart-related problems when they enter emergency departments. The company was first formed to bring to market innovative technology developed by Professor Ben Varcoe, Chair of Quantum Information Science at Leeds University.
While the company is still in its infancy, Creavo has assembled an experienced management team, meaning you will have the excitement and agility that comes with working for a growing company combined with the expertise of an established organisation.
Creavo has headquarters in Coventry and a research facility based in the University of Leeds.
Creavo welcomes applications from candidates from a diverse range of backgrounds and will help you to build a rewarding career path.
Creavo Medical Technologies Limited (Creavo) is a dynamic and fast growing midlands based medical device company established to commercialize an innovative and disruptive medical imaging technology researched and developed at one of the top UK universities. A strong management team including one of the UKs leading researchers in Quantum Information. We have built a well-funded business to apply this technology to a real clinical need, bringing a real change to how patients are diagnosed in hospital Emergency Units.
Working closely across specialties the engineering team is tasked to bring innovative and creative solutions to translate the fundamental physics principles from leading edge university research to reliable and safe medical devices that make a real difference to patients’ lives. You would be working under strong leadership, with the research teams to bring a new technology to market.
All team members must demonstrate the highest professional and personal standards, be flexible and open minded and be willing to be stretched and challenged. Remuneration for the role will reflect this “best in class” attitude and skill set.
The Software Verification Engineer will lead aspects of safety critical software verification in accordance with internationally recognised and applicable standards. Software under test shall include a mixture of PC and embedded software, with its associated hardware.
The successful candidate shall adhere to the applicable medical regulatory and quality standards, for example IEC 62304 and company QMS.
- Drive the testing effort, within project constraints, while accounting for applicable standards, and established company processes
- Create requirements driven test plans, test suites, test cases and test environments (hardware and software)
- Work within the company’s Quality Management System
- Execute tests, as needed, and ensure that all test outcomes are fully documented
- Be fully engaged within an issue management lifecycle in a controlled environment
- Identify test resourcing requirements, tools and people, to compete all test activities
- Support, as required, other teams for development and characterisation activities
- Capable of verifying both PC based and real time embedded software
- Able to interact with QA and understand their requirements for software design and verification process documentation
Please note these tasks are summary examples and not necessarily a comprehensive list.
Key Knowledge & Personal Skills
- Expert knowledge and proven experience of safety critical software verification, ideally within a medical device environment, though other comparable environments will be considered: rail, automotive and aerospace for example
- Expert knowledge of test planning and test case creation for embedded systems, which will include use of software IDE and ability to use standard test equipment
- Expert knowledge of test planning and test case creation for PC based systems
- Ability to take ownership of all test activities and ensuring that they are completed to the required standards and timescales
- Expert knowledge of software development lifecycle within safety critical environments
- Working knowledge of the following types of software tools (examples identified): software version control (e.g. SVN / CVS), issue management (e.g. JIRA / Redmine / MKS / SpiraTeam), embedded software IDE (e.g. IAR / Keil / Eclipse) and document management processes.
- Must be able to work with only minimal supervision
- Must be comfortable working in a small flexible, multidisciplinary and dynamic team
- Must have a current and valid UK / European driving licence
- Willing to assist other team members (software or other disciplines)
- Able to work under time pressure and to deliver work to agreed time plans
- Able to travel domestically and internationally if required (such travel will be kept to an absolute minimum)
- Must have unrestricted right to work in the UK
- At least 5 years’ experience in verification
- Knowledge of embedded microcontrollers with specific regard to verification methods and techniques
- Experience of software verification adhering to European and US standards
- Understanding of final product build verification within a production environment
- Some knowledge of C language in embedded environment
- Some knowledge of C++ or C#
Some knowledge of Python language
Creavo Medical Technologies Limited (Creavo) is a dynamic and fast growing Midlands based medical device company established to commercialize an innovative and disruptive medical imaging technology, researched and developed at one of the top UK universities. A strong management team including one of the UKs leading researchers in Quantum Information, has built a well-funded business to apply this technology to a real clinical need bringing a significant change to how patients are diagnosed in hospital Emergency Units.
The Electronics Engineer will have primary responsibility in developing new printed circuit board assemblies based on research carried out within the business to a standard dictated and expected by the various applicable medical regulatory and quality standards and best practice. The engineer will work with external test houses to ensure compliance with relevant standards.
The Engineer will also provide both in-house and field based telephone and where applicable, onsite support for devices used in clinical studies or for other development purposes. They will provide input and support where necessary to external business partners and work with various stakeholders to de-risk and enhance current designs.
- Develop new Printed Circuit Board Assemblies.
- Work with the Engineering Team to manufacture “one off” prototype devices to a standard acceptable by both regulatory bodies and relevant medical physics and other stakeholders.
- Propose design improvements to existing products.
- Investigate and propose improvements to current product designs.
- Conduct one off experiments to support proof of concept design.
- Design and manufacture test rigs and other support devices for existing devices.
- Provide in-house and field based technical support for prototype and released devices.
- Support external testing where applicable.
- Interface and collaborate with external engineering partners as applicable.
- Support knowledge transfer to Creavo Medical Technologies from research activities.
- Support the development of Creavo Medical Technologies intellectual property and patent applications.
- Maintain development and program documentation to a standard required by various medical regulatory and quality standards.
Please note these tasks are summary examples and not necessarily a comprehensive list
Required Skills knowledge and Experience
- An applicable degree level education in a physics or engineering based discipline.
- Demonstrated skills in product development and product innovation, preferably in a highly regulated environment.
- A good understanding of good engineering practices in software and electronic design.
- Good project management skills and the ability to work collaboratively in a wider group to common deadlines.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills.
- Experience in electronics design and development of analogue and digital electronics (three years or more would be desirable). E.g. Filter design, ADC design, I2C, SPI.
- Experience of design and development with microprocessors and associated peripheral electronics and experience with STM32 processors would be an advantage (3 years or more would be desirable).
- Low level C coding for microprocessor test and development.
- Experience of FPGA design and coding using Verilog or VHDL would also be desirable.
- Proven ability to fault finding at a circuit level.
- A good working knowledge of multilayer PCB design processes and tool such as Altium or Eagle.
- Ability to demonstrate experience in design for EMC.
- Experience of software development with a good working knowledge of developing and testing code in Python and C would also be an advantage.
- A good appreciation of mechanical design principles.
- Must have a “can do” attitude and be comfortable working in a small flexible and dynamic team.
- Prior experience of engineering work supporting or developing devices in the medical environment would be desirable.
- A good understanding of quality management systems such as ISO 13485 or equivalent.
- A working understanding of Microsoft Office suite.
- Must have a current and valid UK / European driving licence.